Friday, October 24, 2008

Politics or Pundits?

The different political campaigns going on right now have saturated media: television, newspapers, magazines, radio, Internet, and even concerts and other general gatherings of the public. You cannot turn without running into a person arguing for Obama, or someone igniting the flames within the GOP party, but after awhile you have to wonder, where is this going to lead us?



I do not question that people feel they should follow this person or that person for a particular reason, and I am actually in favor of getting behind someone that seems to hold the same value sets and opinions that you do, but I need to remind myself from time to time that one person will not change a city, county, not to mention a country.


Go back to all the political campaigns that have drenched the public and politicians all say the same things: "I will save you X amount of money in taxes", "I will work to make your life better by reaching across the aisle and talking to others that my competitor will not", and my personal favorite "We will change our dependency on foreign nations", but sadly this has not come to fruition. If we actually analyze what has been promised and what had come to be I doubt they match up much, maybe a 2-7% promise-to-action rate.



All I am saying is sure you can believe what people are saying in their campaigns, but I think there should be MUCH more attention paid to make sure these strings of promises are eventually connected to action. No more empty promises. No more voices stretching to unquestioning and devoted ears only to appease.


I think anyone running for political positions, especially those who are gunning for President or Congress, should have a detailed, well researched, and plausible action plan before they should even be considered for the office. Minimum. Why spend hundreds, thousands, or millions of dollars simply to show that you are the best when there are better ways to prove you are the most qualified!


I know this probably will not happen. Politics will most likely increasingly rely on image and money in order to get people elected, and that upsets my very much so.

Capitalism is the legitimate racket of the ruling class. - Al Capone

No comments: